Please Join us to celebrate the completion of Wheelerton Park.
Wednesday, October 17, 2018
Pulaski Township Hall
12363 Folks Rd. Hanover
Light refreshments will be served
Pulaski Township is a civil township in the Southwest portion of Jackson County, Michigan. The most recent census puts the population at 2075.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.7 square miles, of which, 36.2 square miles of it is land and .04 square miles is water.
Pulaski was first settled by Reuben Penogen and Matthias and Enoch Fisher, who came from Pennsylvania in 1833. The original settlement of Pulaski was a mile west of the present community on the corners of Folks and Watson Roads. When the Cincinnati, Jackson and Mackinaw Railroad was built in 1884 the businesses moved and clustered near the present location. The settlement was originally named Wheelerton.
In 1923 Fay and Harriet Butler bought a grocery business from George Lovitt. This building was located on the northeast corner of Pulaski and Folks Roads and is now known as the “Pulaski Mall”. Mr. and Mrs. Butler opened the second floor of the store and for thirty-five years operated the Butlers Dance Hall. This dance hall became a favorite spot for Saturday night entertainment for the surrounding area residents.
Pulaski still offers a rural environment with many family farms and lakeside living. There are three campgrounds in the township, including the county park campground located on Swains Lake.
According to the 2010 Census more and more people are finding Pulaski Township a pleasant and attractive place to live.